Pinterest is a social media platform that provides users with visual content to discover, save, and share. Launched in 2010, it has become a popular destination for users seeking inspiration for their hobbies, interests, and lifestyle.
In addition to personal use, Pinterest has also emerged as a valuable marketing tool for businesses looking to reach their target audience.
In this article, we will explore the features, benefits, and strategies for using Pinterest as a visual discovery and marketing platform in 2023.
Pinterest: Marketing Platform In 2023
- Pinterest was founded in 2010 by Ben Silbermann, Evan Sharp, and Paul Sciarra. Originally, the founders envisioned Pinterest as a platform for collecting and sharing ideas, but it quickly evolved into a social media platform centered around visual content. Today, Pinterest boasts over 450 million monthly active users, making it a powerful marketing tool for businesses and individuals alike.
- Pinterest was founded by a group of friends who shared a passion for collecting and organizing ideas. Ben Silbermann, one of the founders, was initially inspired by his collection of insect specimens, which he organized meticulously in a binder. This passion for organization and curation led him to start a company called Cold Brew Labs, which eventually evolved into Pinterest.
How does It work?
- Pinterest works by allowing users to create “boards” on which they can save and organize content. Users can “pin” content from around the web and upload their images and videos. Pins can be organized into categories and shared with other users, making Pinterest a powerful discovery tool for finding and sharing ideas.
- Pinterest also uses algorithms to suggest content to users based on their interests and browsing history. This personalized approach helps to keep users engaged with the platform and can lead to increased exposure for businesses and brands.
Types of Content
Pinterest is primarily a visual platform focusing on images and videos. Some of the most popular types of content on Pinterest include:
- Infographics: Pinterest is a popular platform for sharing informative and visually appealing infographics, which can be a powerful tool for businesses looking to educate their audience.
- DIY and How-To Guides: Pinterest is also a popular destination for DIY enthusiasts and people looking for how-to guides on a variety of topics.
- Product Pins: Businesses can create product pins that include a description, price, and a link to purchase the product, making Pinterest a powerful e-commerce tool.
- Recipe Pins: Food and recipe content is hugely popular on Pinterest, making it a great platform for food bloggers and recipe creators.
Overall, it is a highly versatile platform that can be used for a wide range of purposes. Whether you’re a business looking to increase your exposure or an individual looking to share your passions and ideas with the world, Pinterest offers a powerful and engaging platform to do so.
Benefits of Using
Inspiration and Discovery for Personal Users
- Pinterest is a great platform for personal users looking for inspiration and ideas on a wide range of topics. Whether you’re planning a wedding, decorating your home, or looking for recipe ideas, Pinterest offers a wealth of content to explore and discover. Users can save their favorite pins to boards for future reference, making it easy to keep track of their ideas and inspirations.
Exposure and Traffic for Businesses
- For businesses, it offers a unique opportunity to reach a highly engaged audience and drive traffic to their website. According to Pinterest, 97% of searches on the platform are unbranded, meaning users actively search for new ideas and products. By creating visually appealing content and using relevant keywords, businesses can increase their exposure and attract new customers.
Increasing Brand Awareness and Loyalty
- Pinterest is also a great platform for building brand awareness and loyalty. By creating a consistent visual identity and sharing content that resonates with their target audience, businesses can establish themselves as thought leaders in their industry and build a loyal following. Engaging with followers through comments and repins can also help to foster a sense of community and connection with the brand.
Building Community and Engagement
- One of the unique aspects of this platform is its focus on community and collaboration. Users can follow each other and share their favorite content, creating a sense of community around shared interests and passions. This community-focused approach can be a powerful tool for businesses looking to build brand loyalty and engage with their audience on a more personal level.
Leveraging User-Generated Content
- Finally, Pinterest offers businesses the opportunity to leverage user-generated content to build their brand and increase engagement. By encouraging customers to share their images and experiences with the brand, businesses can create a sense of authenticity and trust that can be difficult to achieve through traditional marketing methods.
Overall, it is a powerful platform with a wide range of benefits for both personal users and businesses alike. From inspiration and discovery to community-building and engagement, Pinterest offers a unique and engaging experience that is hard to find on other social media platforms.
Setting Up a Personal or Business Account
- To start on Pinterest, the first step is creating a personal or business account. Personal accounts are free and allow users to save and organize content that they find interesting. Business accounts, on the other hand, offer additional features and analytics to help businesses reach their target audience and track their performance on the platform.
Optimizing Your Profile and Boards
- Once you’ve created your account, it’s important to optimize your profile and boards to make them as appealing and discoverable as possible. This includes using relevant keywords in your profile description and board titles, as well as choosing visually appealing cover images for your boards.
- You can also verify your website and social media accounts to increase your credibility and drive traffic to your website.
Creating and Curating Content
- The heart of Pinterest is its content, so it’s important to create and curate high-quality, visually appealing content that will resonate with your target audience. This can include images, videos, and infographics, as well as links to your website or blog.
- It’s also important to curate content from other sources that align with your brand and will be of interest to your followers.
Building Followers and Engagement
- Finally, to get the most out of Pinterest, it’s important to build a following and engage with your audience. This can be done by actively promoting your account on other social media platforms, using relevant keywords and hashtags, and engaging with other users by commenting on and sharing their content.
- By building a loyal following and engaging with your audience, you can increase your reach and drive more traffic to your website or blog.
According to Hootsuite, Pinterest has over 459 million active users worldwide, with 89 million of those users based in the United States.
Additionally, 83% of weekly Pinners have made a purchase based on the content they saw from brands on the platform, making this platform a valuable tool for businesses looking to reach their target audience and drive sales.
Strategies for Marketing
Creating Visually Appealing Content
- Pinterest is a highly visual platform, so it’s important to create content that is not only visually appealing but also aligns with your brand and target audience. This includes using high-quality images, videos, and infographics that are relevant to your products or services.
Optimizing for Search and Keywords
- To make your content discoverable on Pinterest, it’s important to optimize for search and keywords. This includes using relevant keywords in your profile, board titles, and pin descriptions. You can also use Pinterest’s Guided Search feature to find popular keywords related to your content.
Leveraging Hashtags and Trends
- Using hashtags and trends can help your content reach a larger audience on Pinterest. By incorporating relevant hashtags into your pin descriptions, you can increase your visibility and engagement. Additionally, staying on top of current trends can help you create timely and relevant content that resonates with your audience.
Promoted Pins and Advertising Options
- Pinterest offers a variety of advertising options, including Promoted Pins, Promoted Video Pins, and Promoted App Pins. These options allow businesses to target specific audiences based on demographics, interests, and behaviors and can help increase brand awareness and drive traffic to your website.
Tracking and Analyzing Metrics
- To measure the success of your Pinterest marketing efforts, it’s important to track and analyze metrics such as impressions, engagement, and click-through rates. This can help you understand what content is resonating with your audience and adjust your strategy accordingly.
According to Sprout Social, 77.4% of weekly Pinners have discovered a new brand or product on Pinterest, highlighting the platform’s potential for brand discovery and engagement.
Additionally, this platform has a higher conversion rate compared to other social media platforms, with the average order value for sales referred by Pinterest at $50, compared to $35 for Facebook and $33 for Twitter. These statistics demonstrate the value of using this platform for marketing and reaching your target audience.
Certainly, here are some success stories of businesses and individuals who have found success on this platform:
- Etsy, the online marketplace for handmade and vintage goods, has leveraged Pinterest to reach new customers and drive sales. By creating visually appealing pins and boards that showcase its unique products, Etsy has been able to grow its following and increase its brand awareness on the platform.
- According to a case study by Pinterest, Etsy saw a 70% increase in traffic and a 20% increase in sales as a result of its Pinterest strategy.
- Home improvement retailer Lowe’s has used Pinterest to provide inspiration and tips for DIY projects and home improvement ideas. By creating instructional pins and boards that showcase its products, Lowe’s has been able to position itself as a go-to resource for homeowners on the platform.
- According to a case study by Pinterest, Lowe’s saw a 76% increase in online sales from this platform and a 33% increase in engagement as a result of their strategy.
- Tasty, the popular food and recipe brand, has used Pinterest to promote its recipes and food-related content. By creating visually appealing pins and boards that showcase its recipes, Tasty has been able to reach a wider audience and drive traffic to its website.
- According to a case study by Pinterest, Tasty saw a 67% increase in traffic and a 50% increase in engagement as a result of its strategy.
Lessons learned from their strategies and tactics
- Some lessons that can be learned from these success stories include the importance of creating visually appealing content that aligns with your brand and target audience.
- Using Pinterest to showcase your products or services and position yourself as a go-to resource, and optimize for search and keywords to increase visibility and engagement.
- These businesses have also leveraged Pinterest’s advertising options, such as Promoted Pins, to reach specific audiences and drive traffic to their website.
Overall, these success stories demonstrate the potential of using this platform for businesses and individuals to increase brand awareness, drive traffic and sales, and build a loyal following.
Best Practices and Tips
Staying up-to-date with the latest features and updates
- Pinterest is constantly updating its platform with new features and tools, such as Story Pins and Idea Pins, which can be used to create interactive and engaging content. By staying up-to-date with these updates, you can take advantage of the latest trends and features to enhance your content and reach a wider audience.
Consistency in posting and engagement
- Consistency is key when it comes to using Pinterest. Regularly posting new content and engaging with your audience can help you build a loyal following and increase your visibility on the platform. Aim to post at least a few times a week and engage with other users by liking and commenting on their pins.
Collaborating with other users and brands
- Collaborating with other users and brands can be a great way to expand your reach on Pinterest. You can collaborate by creating group boards, where multiple users can contribute and share content, or by partnering with other brands or influencers to create content together.
Staying authentic to your brand
- Pinterest users are looking for inspiration and ideas that align with their interests and values. By staying true to your brand and creating content that is authentic and aligned with your brand values, you can build a loyal following of users who share your interests and values.
Experimenting and testing to find what works best
- There is no one-size-fits-all approach to using Pinterest. It’s important to experiment and test different strategies to find what works best for your brand and target audience. This can include trying different types of content, optimizing for different keywords, and testing different advertising options.
By following these best practices and tips, you can optimize your use of this platform to increase your visibility, reach a wider audience, and drive traffic and sales to your website or business.
In conclusion, Pinterest is a powerful visual discovery and marketing platform that offers benefits for both personal users and businesses. By following the best practices and strategies outlined in this article, you can maximize the potential of this platform to reach and engage with your target audience.
Q. Can I use Pinterest for personal and business purposes?
A. You can use Pinterest for personal and business purposes by creating a personal or business account.
Q. Do I need to have a visually appealing brand to use for marketing?
A. While having a visually appealing brand can be beneficial, it is not a requirement for using this platform for marketing. You can create visually appealing content using templates and tools available on the platform.
Q. Can I use it to drive traffic to my website?
A. Yes, It is an excellent platform for driving traffic to your website by creating and sharing visually appealing pins that link back to your website.
Q. Can I advertise on it?
A. Yes, you can advertise on Pinterest using Promoted Pins and other advertising options available on the platform.
Q. Is Pinterest free to use?
A. Pinterest is free to use, but some features such as advertising and analytics require payment.
Q. Can I use it to sell products?
A. Yes, you can use Pinterest to sell products by creating shoppable pins and linking them to your website or e-commerce platform.
Q. How do I know if my marketing strategy is working?
A. You can track and analyze your Pinterest metrics, such as impressions, clicks, saves, and engagement, to determine the effectiveness of your marketing strategy.
Q. Can I collaborate with other users and brands?
A. Yes, you can collaborate with other users and brands on Pinterest by creating group boards and inviting them to contribute to the board.
Q. Can I use this platform to promote my blog?
A. Yes, you can use Pinterest to promote your blog by creating visually appealing pins that link back to your blog posts.
Q. Is it necessary to have a large following to be successful?
A. While having a large following on Pinterest can be beneficial, it is not necessary to be successful on the platform. Quality content and engagement can help you reach your target audience and grow your following over time.